The Oddie Refractor II

The original 9 inch Oddie Telescope was manufactured by Thomas Grubb in around 1890 and gifted to the Commonwealth by James Oddie, a wealthy Victorian businessman and philanthropist. It was the first telescope to be installed on Mount Stromlo in 1911 and its dome was first Commonwealth Structure to be built in the Australian Capital Territory. The Oddie was initially used to test the atmospheric conditions on Mount Stromlo with view to establishing a Commonwealth Observatory there.

more >

VIEW

CART